|Starting Fall 2023, I will be offering Altered Book classes in my Fresno, CA home studio. I can only hold classes for 4 - 5 people at a time. If you are working on a specific project and would like individual coaching/instruction, we can arrange for that, also. I have all the materials you will need, however if you would like to incorporate personal images or items into your work, I encourage you to bring your items to work with. If you would like to arrange a class for yourself, or for a small group, please contact me at email@example.com.
January 20 -21, 2024
Altered Books 101: Construction & Technique
Fresno FiberArts Guild Program
[This class is fully booked and registration is closed]
[The below highlighted items are my affiliate links that you can use to purchase items from Amazon. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You do not pay any additional charges for using these links].
Materials list for this class (please bring with you to class):
Bring if you have:
- Structurally solid hard-bound book of medium length, novel size (200 – 300 pages)
- No slick or shiny pages
- Pages should not be too thin, flimsy, or brittle
- 1 roll paper towels
- Wax paper
- Baby wipes
- Plastic grocery-type bag
- Apron and/or clothes you won’t mind possibly getting glue or medium on
- Water container
- Sharp pencil
- Paper scissors – medium sized
- Small pointy ended scissors (think embroidery scissors size – but don’t bring your nice embroidery scissors)
- Hair dryer or craft heat gun
- Tissue paper and/or paper napkins (with images you will want to use in your book and solid colours) Dollar Store is also a really good place to get these.
- Assorted mark making tools – felt pens, color crayons, gelatos, acrylic paint, markers, colored pencils, etc (you won’t need all of these, bring what you have)
- 3 junk mail or new envelopes. Different sizes. Narrow enough to fit in your book.
- collage material (ephemera, assorted weight and fiber content papers, photographs (or copies), postcards, colorful magazine pages, look for pages/papers with words and images you want to use in your book, etc.); fabric scraps and thread/yarn snips; small embellishments (found objects, rusty bits, charms, bling, etc.), assorted stickers
- Acrylic Matte Medium (any brand) 16 ozs or bigger (yes, it's expensive; no, you shouldn't substitute Modge Podge. Best deal is to wait for a 50% off coupon at Michael's and get it with the coupon)
- Washi Tape (assorted widths, at least one being 1” in width)
- 2 Cheap flat-edged paint brushes 1 inch, ¼ inch. Try to get brushes that won't shed bristles
- Black or brown permanent ink stamp pad, plus one other color
- Cheap Vinyl tablecloth
- *I will have some stickers, washi tape, and other ephemera available for purchase if you would like to wait and get them at the workshop.